I’ve had the Mathilde pattern by Tilly and the Buttons with all the fabric and trimmings for a while now but too be honest, I’ve been a bit of a chicken about this one – I can’t remember the last time I sewed a button hole! And I’d decided to use piping as well – something I’ve only ever done an example of when I was learning technical skills at uni. So this will be interesting!!
I traced the size 3 as this was the closest to my body measurements. however, after I had finished hand sewing on the buttons, I put it on to see the fit and found the bust darts were about an inch below my bust. I also thought it was a bit too loose around the front and back, though it fitted lovely around my hips and (surprisingly) my shoulders. I think a size 2 graded to a 3 would be a better fit.
I found the pin tucks didn’t hang or look right. I think this was because of my fabric choice though, a medium weight cotton. Top stitching fixed this though and doesn’t take away from the overall shape of the blouse.
I’m over the moon with the button stand and button holes, they turned out really well. As did the gathering at the cuffs but I can’t say the same about the shoulder gathers, they’re almost non-existent.
Unfortunately I lost my sewing mojo when I found the bust darts were too low and it took a while to get it back. I think this has contributed to my feelings towards the final garment – I just don’t love it.
This was a good project for learning and improving my skills, but I’m afraid it’s been let down by my bad choice of fabric and sizing. I hope I will like it the more I wear it… or maybe, if I can bring myself to adjust it in the future.